You Are Browsing ‘Editorial’ Category

Remittances are a significant part of our foreign exchange reserves. They play an essential role in building financial resilience for Pakistan. $2.47 billion worth of remittances received in June 2020 from $1.64b in June 2019 will indeed greatly help Pakistan during the financial meltdown caused by COVID-19....

Prime Minister Imran Khan rightly paid rich tribute to Kashmir’s great martyrs on Youm-e-Shuhada-e-Kashmir and praised the residents of the valley for their “valiant fight and defiance against a Hindutva supremacist regime”. There can really be no denying that the struggle of the Kashmiris, horrible as it has been since Partition, has become particularly horrendous...

A five-day Hajj registration deadline for expatriates residing in Saudi Arabia ended on Friday as the kingdom is bracing for holding a limited pilgrimage due to fears of the new coronavirus. Saudi Arabia has announced that 70 percent of this year’s pilgrims will be expatriate residents while the remaining 30 per cent will be Saudis. The maximum number of participating...

With 1,538 new cases reported in the province in 24 hours, Sindh’s virus tally reached 100,900 – making it the first province to cross the 100,000 mark. Moreover, 40 more people succumbed to the virus in a day, taking the provincial death toll to 1,677. However, the total number of recoveries recorded by Sindh stood at 57,627 as 1,254 more patients recovered...

A video doing the rounds of a Pakistani boy, hardly more than four years old, addressing Prime Minister Imran Khan and threatening to hunt down and kill all Hindus one by one if a temple is constructed in Islamabad has, quite understandably, caused a lot of concern. Now more and more people are taking to social media, something the government doesn’t like at all, and...

Now that PIA (Pakistan International Airlines) has been downgraded from a three-star to one-star airline by top rating website AirlineRatings.com, perhaps the government will see the error in its decision to make the issue about fake licenses public in the way that it did. For some reason the ruling party is trying to make it an issue about honesty and transparency, which...

The Punjab government has done the right thing by announcing clearly defined SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) for cattle markets ahead of Eid. If experience has taught us anything, it is that there is some truth in the assertion that Pakistani people just cannot be trusted with their own safety as far as the coronavirus pandemic is concerned. And it was precisely because...

Now that PIA (Pakistan International Airlines) has been downgraded from a three-star to one-star airline by top rating website AirlineRatings.com, perhaps the government will see the error in its decision to make the issue about fake licenses public in the way that it did. For some reason the ruling party is trying to make it an issue about honesty and transparency, which...

The way senior government ministers have defended PTI’s performance, especially with regard to their inability to reationalise sugar, wheat or petrol prices, is rather concerning. For one thing, they still seem to think that the best answer to every tough question is blaming practically everything on previous governments. But that leaves them looking a little unaware...

Observers on this side of the Pak-India border, at least, were wondering for a while just what form India’s next accusation against Pakistan was going to take. It was expected rather urgently because of all the embarrassment Delhi has had to suffer in the standoff with China in the Laddakh region. And now it has come. Suddenly, India informed Pakistan that the latter’s...

UA-75911403-1