Daily The Patriot

Karachi Gul Plaza fire toll rises to 28, search for missing continues

Link copied!

KARACHI – Rescue teams continued combing through the debris of Karachi’s Gul Plaza on Tuesday as the death toll from the devastating fire rose to 28, while dozens remain missing.

The blaze, which erupted, partially collapsed the ground-plus-three-storey commercial building housing around 1,200 shops. Smoke was still visible from the rubble as heavy machinery was deployed to clear debris, particularly from the basement.

According to Rescue 1122, seven bodies have been handed over to families, while 21 remain at the morgue pending DNA identification. Police officials said 38 out of more than 65 missing persons were last traced to the plaza through mobile phone data.

Karachi Mayor Murtaza Wahab said the fire had been brought under control and assured that all departments remained on high alert until the rescue operation was completed. He added that the Sindh government had formed an inquiry committee to determine the cause of the fire and investigate possible negligence.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Karachi Gul Plaza fire toll rises to 28, search for missing continues

Link copied!

KARACHI – Rescue teams continued combing through the debris of Karachi’s Gul Plaza on Tuesday as the death toll from the devastating fire rose to 28, while dozens remain missing.

The blaze, which erupted, partially collapsed the ground-plus-three-storey commercial building housing around 1,200 shops. Smoke was still visible from the rubble as heavy machinery was deployed to clear debris, particularly from the basement.

According to Rescue 1122, seven bodies have been handed over to families, while 21 remain at the morgue pending DNA identification. Police officials said 38 out of more than 65 missing persons were last traced to the plaza through mobile phone data.

Karachi Mayor Murtaza Wahab said the fire had been brought under control and assured that all departments remained on high alert until the rescue operation was completed. He added that the Sindh government had formed an inquiry committee to determine the cause of the fire and investigate possible negligence.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *