Former Australian cricketer Damien Martin has recovered and is out of a coma. The 54-year-old was rushed to hospital after falling ill suddenly last week and was placed in an induced coma after being diagnosed with meningitis.
Former teammate Adam Gilchrist said in a statement on behalf of Martin’s family on Sunday that former Australian batsman Damien Martin has woken up from a coma after suffering from meningitis.
He said that Martin can now talk and is responding well to the effects of treatment in what the family has called a “miracle comeback”.
Gilchrist added that Martin is in a very good mood and is overwhelmed by the support he has received. Doctors hope that he will soon be moved from the ICU to another ward.
It should be noted that Damien Martin performed brilliantly in 67 Tests and 208 ODIs during his time in international cricket and was also a key member of Australia’s 2003 World Cup-winning team.
