Using all options for safe exit of Pakistanis from Yemen: Asif

LAHORE: Minister for Water and Power Khawaja Asif on Monday said that process of evacuation Pakistani families from war-hit Yemen has commenced and the government is using all options for their safe exit.

Addressing a seminar at Wapda House in Lahore, the minister said that Pakistan is ready to extend full support if there is any threat to Saudi Arabia’s territorial integrity.

He said the government took major decisions like operation Zarb-e-Azb in North Waziristan and targeted operation in Karachi to eliminate terrorism and crime. The decision regarding joining or not joining Gulf-led operation in Yemen will be taken while keeping the country and Muslim Ummah’s interest in mind.

On the other hand, Minister for Planning and Development Ahsan Iqbal also said that safe evacuation of all Pakistanis stranded in Yemen is top priority of the government.

Talking to media in Islamabad today (Monday), Ahsan Iqbal said Pakistan wants peace in the region including Middle East.

Pakistan will not join war of any other country, but it is ready to defend territorial integrity and sovereignty of Saudi Arabia, he added.

So far, as many as 493 passengers from Yemen have landed safely at Karachi/Islamabad airports.

In a statement, Foreign Office Spokesperson Tasnim Aslam said more than 400 Pakistanis were evacuated from Al-Huaidah city by a PIA flight. She said fighting is going on in Aden city where up to 200 Pakistanis are stranded.

The spokesperson said 150 Pakistanis will travel from Aden for Al-Mukalla by road where a plane will go on Tuesday to bring them back to the country.

Tasnim Aslam said one naval ship is also on its way to Aden and we are contacting Chinese officials there to seek their help in the evacuation of Pakistanis.

INP

About the Author