ISLAMABAD: The federal government Tuesday remained failed to take consent of opposition parties on extension of military courts as the consultative meeting of parliamentary leaders ended inconclusive.
It was the second in-camera meeting on the same issue. The meeting, held at the parliament house, was chaired by Speaker National Assembly Ayaz Sadiq. The first meeting in this regard had also concluded without any consensus.
Federal Law and Justice Minister Zahid Hamid briefed the meeting on the so far performance of the military courts. Following the meeting, Shah Mahmood Qureshi told media that the opposition parties demanded of the government to call in an in-camera session of the parliament in which representatives from the security institutions would brief the house.
He said that the briefing gave birth to several more questions and added that the opposition parties sought explanation from the government on the issue. Leader of the Opposition in National Assembly Syed Khursheed Shah said that the opposition asked for explanation on issues pertaining to the military courts.
He was of the view that military courts are an issue of the state and not of the government. Shah said the government has ensured that the opposition will be provided with further details and responses in the next meeting scheduled to be held on January 31.
Following the meeting, NA Speaker Ayaz Sadiq said that all the stakeholders participated in the meeting with open minds. He said that the government will come up with more details in the next meeting. He was optimistic that the issue would be resolved in a good manner.
The absence of Federal Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar was largely felt in the meeting. Following the session, Qaumi Watan Party chief Aftab Sherpao expressed his displeasure over the absence of Nisar and said that the minister should have been present at the meeting. News Desk