KARACHI: Sindh Minister for Information and Education, Nisar Ahmed Khuhro has said that there was no need to call in troops on the eve of Muharram in the province as the civilian government, Police and Rangers had already undertaken adequate security measures with a view to avoid any untoward incident on the eve.
Talking to media persons here on Friday, Nisar Khuhro brushed aside allegations that the incumbent government wanted to defer the upcoming local bodies polls in the province, adding that we were committed to hold local bodies polls as per schedule.
He clarified that the Election Commission had a domain to undertake delimitations but had no power to turn down the government’s decision to name towns and union councils. The ECP’s decision had created an ambiguity and confusion that left the incumbent government with no option but to move the court, he added.
Nisar Khuhro blamed the Federal Government for thwarting the way of Provincial Higher Education Commission in utter disregard of the Provincial Autonomy envisaged under the 18th Constitutional Amendment, adding that the Federal Government was even not providing funds for the purpose.
On the issue of increase in school fee by private schools, Mr. Khuhro said that Government had endorsed the just cause of the parents and reiterated that registration of those schools would be cancelled who were found charging increased fee.