NEW DELHI: A day after Indian media‘s rant against their government‘s decision to play series against Pakistan in Sri Lanka next month, New Delhi took a u-turn on Friday and now the cricket fans will have to wait a bit longer on the decision by the Indian government to allow a series to take place.
The official spokesperson of the Indian Ministry of External Affairs, Vikas Swarup, stated that no decision has been made for the Indo-Pak cricket series.
According to Indian media sources, the first assessment and clearance have to be given by the Ministry of External Affairs. If the MEA clears the proposal, then the Home Ministry may send an advance security liaison team to the country where it may be held.
Earlier on Thursday, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif gave the green light for the country‘s cricket team to play a limited-overs series against India at a neutral venue.
The cricket boards of Pakistan and India have been in a stalemate for months over a venue for the series. India had refused to play in the United Arab Emirates, Pakistan‘s home away from home, and Pakistan rejected the prospect of playing the series in India.
Giles Clarke, who heads International Cricket Council‘s Pakistan Task Force, organized a meeting between PCB chairman Shaharyar Khan and BCCI president Shashank Manohar last week in Dubai, where Sri Lanka was chosen as the possible venue.
IPL Chairman and BCCI functionary Rajeev Shukla also voiced the fact that the series will start tentatively from December 15.
The series has not been formally confirmed, but PCB Chief Shehryar Khan on Wednesday said he had told the government the talks were “fruitful,” and the BCCI was seeking it‘s government‘s view.
Both cricket boards signed a memorandum of understanding last year to play at least six series from 2015 to 2023, with Pakistan hosting the first one in December. Agencies
The UAE has been Pakistan‘s “home” venue for six years because of the security concerns of foreign teams travelling to Pakistan.