ISLAMABAD, (TLTP): Federal Minister for Federal Education and Professional Training Shafqat Mahmood has said that the government has decided to restart the education process of class nine to twelve from upcoming Monday as per the previous announcement.
Briefing media persons on Friday about the decisions taken at the National Command and Operation Centre, Shafqat, however, said the closure of class one to eight has been extended for a week. He said these classes will now resume from the 1st of next month as against the earlier decision of 25th January. He said the institutions of higher education will also reopen from the 1st of next month.
The education minister said that it has also been decided that the NCOC will review the coronavirus situation next week and adopt a smart approach under which there is a possibility to keep the schools shut in those cities where the infection rate is comparatively high.
Shafqat Mahmood said that it has also been decided that the students will not be promoted to the next class without examination. He said the Covid-19 has badly affected the education of the children over the last eight to nine months. He said, “We have tried to create a balance ensuring that the education activities continue whilst protecting the health of children.”
“Everyone is concerned about the loss of education during the previous lockdown but we have to strike a balance so as to ensure the safety of students,” Mehmood said, adding the current positivity rate has come down to 6.10%, which was 7.14% when the educational institutes were shut on November 26.
The federal government had earlier announced a phase-wise plan to reopen educational institutes from January 18 which were closed on November 26 to contain the spread of coronavirus.
Meanwhile, the Punjab government has assured the parents that it will ensure strict compliance with Covid-19 SOPs in schools.