ISLAMABAD: Central Chairman of the All Pakistan CNG Association captain (retd) Shuja Anwar on Friday said GIDC act has specifically targeted the agonized CNG sector putting Rs 450 billion investments in jeopardy. He said that CNG is the only sector which has been asked to deposit GIDC of the past years while rest of the sectors were asked to do the same which is discrimination.
Speaking to an emergency meeting of the Central Executive Committee of the APCNGA, he said that government aimed to receive 10 percent of the GIDC amount from the ailing CNG sector while the rest of the 90 percent amount that other sectors were supposed to pay has been waived which is amazing.
He said that 75 percent CNG filling stations of Pakistan are located in Punjab which have been kept closed since eight months while these outlets have worked for mere 110 days in the last two years.
Captain Shuja said that how come CNG operators pay GIDC of the past years when they haven’t received it from consumers while there was no cushion in the pricing which have not been reviewed since last three years. He said that CNG prices must be deregulated and all the closed stations must be opened immediately.
The central chairman of the APCNGA said that government has imposed two different slabs of cess on the CNG stations which is Rs 200 per mmbtu in one region and Rs 253 per mmbtu in other fanning provincialism. He said that CNG sector is paying highest tariff of Rs 656 per mmbtu as compare to any other gas consuming sector but it continues to brave step motherly attitude of the authorities.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has been badly hit be terrorism and CNG is among few viable businesses there which has been axed which will trigger flight of capital and exodus of industry from the underdeveloped province. Similarly, he said, Sindh produces 70 percent of the natural gas and consumes only 30 percent in which share of CNG stands at 2 percent but it has been targeted which will lay waste to the sector.
He said that GIDC will result in closure of CNG industry across Pakistan in which investors have pumped Rs 450 billion while masses have spent over 200 billion on conversions.
At the occasion a high powered committee was formed to apprise Senate committee and officials of petroleum and finance ministry of problems and propose workable solutions.
Those present on the occasion included central leader of APCNGA Ghiyas Paracha, Chairman APCNGA KP Fazal Muqeem, Vice Chairman KP Muhammad Khalique, Chairman Sindh Shabbir Suleman Jee, Chairman Balochistan Brig. Iftikhar, Chairman Punjab Mian Shahid and others.