Web Desk: Pakistan was one of the very first Muslim countries to have a female Prime Minister in the form of the late Shaheed Benazir Bhutto. The Pakistan People’s Party leader and former Prime Minister’s struggle for democracy in the country inspired thousands of other women to take part in politics, a traditionally male dominate arena in Pakistan. However today there are a number of very famous female politicians who are striving hard to make a contribution towards the betterment of Pakistan and to raise a voice for the rights of women.
Here’s a list of the five most popular Pakistani female politicians (taking into account their followers on Twitter).
Maryam Nawaz Sharif
1. Maryam Nawaz Sharif is the daughter of the three times elected Prime Minister of Pakistan and one of the country’s most popular leaders Muhammad Nawaz Sharif. Maryam Nawaz is regarded as the brains behind most of the ruling party’s strategies. She’s is also considered as one of the key persons who helped the Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz (PMLN) establish its dominance on social media platforms. Maryam Nawaz with more than 3.6 million followers in the most popular female politician in Pakistan. Her political stature will rise further after she contests elections (likely in 2018). She is tipped to be a future Prime Minister of Pakistan.
2. Marvi Memon is a young political hailing from the Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz (PMLN). Marvi is also the Chairperson of the Benazir Income Support Program and is also known for humanitarian work. She ranks second on the list of most popular female Pakistani politicians with 1.61 million followers.
3. Bakhtawar Bhutto, the daughter of the twice elected Prime Minister of Pakistan the late Benazir Bhutto is very popular on social networking website Twitter. Although both the daughters of the late Benazir Bhutto have not formally entered politics, they are both looked up to by millions of Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) voters as the future of the party along with Bilawal Bhutto Zardari. With 1.52 million followers she is the third most popular female politician.
4. Aseefa is the younger daughter of Bakhtawar and is known for her principled stance on many issues, especially those pertaining to women rights. Like her elder sister, Aseefa is yet to formally enter politics. With 1.45 million followers she is the fourth most popular female politician.
5. Shireen Mazari of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf is the fifth most popular female Pakistan politician with close to one million followers.